Control Surfaces & MIDI Interfaces
With Pro Tools|HD and Pro Tools|HD Accel Systems with
Pro Tools 6.4 for Mac OS X
The following devices are qualified for use with Pro Tools|HD and Pro
Tools|HD Accel systems with Pro Tools 6.4 TDM software for Mac OS X:
- Fader Pack (up to 5)
- Edit Pack (serial number PT00601 or higher required)
The following control surfaces were not tested with Pro Tools 6.4, and
therefore are not officially supported. The Pro Tools 6.4 Installer CD
contains an "unsupported" folder with the following control surface personality
- CM Labs MotorMix
- JL Cooper CS-10 MIDI series
- Mackie Designs HUI
- Peavey PC-1600
- JL Cooper MCS 3000 series MCS-Panner *
These are also available for download in the Support->Downloads->MIDI
Control Surfaces section of the website. (*MCS-Panner file only available
with download, not available on the Pro Tools 6.4 CD)
- Digidesign D-Control and D-Control Fader Packs are only compatible with Pro Tools|HD and Pro Tools|HD Accel systems.
- Digidesign ProControl, FaderPack for ProControl and EditPack for ProControl are only compatible with TDM systems.
- D-Control and ProControl control surfaces are are not compatible with Pro Tools LE systems.
- New MIDI control surface features are provided through the latest Control Surface Personality files installed with Pro Tools
- Pro Tools 6.0 and later no longer supports and will not install the Penny & Giles MM-16 and DC-16 Control Surface Personality Files
- The built-in Digi 002 faders cannot be used to control any device other than that Digi 002.
- Only one Command|8 can be used with a Pro Tools system. Multiple Command|8 units cannot be enabled simultaneously.
- Command|8 must be the only MIDI control surface enabled within Pro Tools.
- Command|8 can be used in combination with non-MIDI control surfaces such as Control|24 with some limitations. For more information, see the Command|8 Guide.
For more information on using control surfaces with Pro Tools, see the Control|24 Guide, Command|8 Guide, and the Getting Started and Pro Tools Reference guides in the Technical Document Library or your Pro Tools documentation folder.
For third-party devices such as the MoterMix, HUI, CS-10 or PC-1600, see the MIDI Control Surfaces Guide in the Technical Document Library:
MIDI Control Surfaces (Legacy Controllers)
MIDI Interfaces USB Only
The following MIDI Interfaces are qualified for use with Pro Tools|HD
and Pro Tools|HD systems with Pro Tools TDM version 6.4 software for Mac
- Digidesign MIDI I/O - USB MIDI interface with 10 MIDI I/O ports, supporting
160 MIDI channels
- Emagic AMT8/MT4
- Roland MPU64/UM2/UM4
Known Incompatibilities & Issues
- Only USB MIDI interfaces are compatible with Pro Tools systems for
Mac OS X. Modem-to-serial port adapters and serial MIDI devices are
- System instabilities and performance issues can occur when using MIDI
control surfaces in conjunction with Pro Tools 6 and 3rd party MIDI
interfaces. For best multiport MIDI performance, we recommend using
Digidesign's MIDI I/O.