Maximum Performance Guidelines for Digi 002 Rack Systems
With Pro Tools LE 6.9 for Windows XP
The Digi 002 Rack will work best with faster PC computers equipped with at
least 512 MB of RAM (more RAM is required when using sample rates of 88.2
KHz or 96 KHz, or when using a DAE buffer setting larger than the default).
Faster CPUs result in more tracks, more plug-ins, and a more responsive
Graphical User Interface (GUI) -- snappy meters, screen redrawing, etc.
In addition, the fastest computers allow Pro Tools to run with smaller
hardware buffers for the lowest audio I/O latency. Note that the lowest
hardware buffer settings may not be usable on some computers that otherwise
meet all requirements.
The Digi 002 Rack is compatible with many different types of PC laptop/notebook
& desktop computers. However, in general, desktop computers are faster
than laptop/notebook computers, so the best performance will be found
with desktop computers.
The Digi 002 Rack and Pro Tools LE require one or more supported disk drives
for recording and playing audio. ATA/EIDE, SCSI, and 1394 disk drives
are compatible with the Digi 002 Rack. Best performance will be achieved with
7200 RPM (or faster) speed drives. In some cases, you may need to split
audio tracks across more than one disk drive (especially when using 88.2
KHz or 96 KHz sessions with many tracks and dense edits). Also, when using
1394 drives with the 002 Rack, some computer configurations may require a separate/dedicated
1394 interface for 1394-based disk drives in order to achieve maximum
performance. See: Digi 002 Qualified
1394 Interface Cards for more information.
- Windows XP Professional or Home Edition
- Not Supported:
- Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
- Windows XP Media Center Edition
- Pro Tools LE 6.9 is qualified with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP1 not tested)
- If you are updating from SP1 to SP2, please read the following beforehand to help insure a smooth transition:
- Pro Tools LE 6.x software can't be installed or used on systems running Windows 98, Me, 2000, NT, 95, or 3.1
- Windows XP Settings & Requirements
Windows XP SP2, Microsoft DEP and PACE InterLok Drivers Update
- if you encounter unexplained blue screens, freezes or spontaneous reboots when launching Pro Tools with Windows XP Service Pack 2, please update your PACE InterLok drivers:
- The current InterLok drivers solve the described problems without having to disable Microsoft's DEP (Data Execution Prevention) feature introduced with Windows XP Service Pack 2.
Total System RAM
- 384 MB minimum
- 512 MB (or higher) highly recommended
Additional RAM may be required for:
- High edit density sessions
- Sample rates above 48 KHz
- DAE buffer setting larger than the default
- Extensive use of plug-ins
- Simultaneous use of MIDI sequencers or software options such as DigiTranslator
- Additional RAM is recommended for better video playback performance
SCSI Host Adapter
FireWire Connections & Qualified 1394/FireWire PCI Cards
- A 1394 ("FireWire") controller/interface is required to connect the Digi 002 Rack to your computer. Some computers have built-in 1394/FireWire controllers, while other computers require add-in 1394/FireWire PCI controller cards (purchased separately)
- Some built-in 1394/FireWire ports may be incompatible with Pro Tools. if you experience FireWire-related issues or errors when using the built-in 1394/FireWire ports on your computer, Digidesign recommends installing a Digidesign-approved 1394/FireWire card.
- When using FireWire storage with a Digi 002 systems, connect the Digi 002 and the drives to separate FireWire ports if possible
- If only one FireWire port is available, connect the drives to the CPU, then connect the Digi 002 to the drives
- Do not connect a DV video camera to the same FireWire bus as a Digi 002. Most CPUs with two FireWire ports still have only one FireWire bus. If you need to add an additional FireWire bus to your CPU, please see the list of qualified cards.
- Recording to the system startup drive is not recommended or supported
- For desktop models, a separate internal or external dedicated audio
hard drive is highly recommended for maximum performance and track count
(see Hard Drive Minimum Requirements)
- Although limited recording and playback of audio tracks may be possible
using the internal drive in laptop models, a separate external dedicated
audio hard drive is highly recommended for maximum performance and track
count. Digidesign recommends the use of FireWire drives for use with
these computers. (see FireWire
- When using FireWire storage with a Digi 002 systems, connect the Digi
002 and the drives to separate FireWire ports if possible
- If only one port is available, connect the drives to the CPU, then
connect the Digi 002 to the drives
- Color monitor required
- Minimum resolution of 1024 x 768
- 17" or larger recommended if using external monitor
- For best performance, it is suggested that you set your monitor to
256 colors on laptop models
Apple QuickTime 6.5 or Higher Recommended
- Available at www.apple.com/quicktime
- Required only on systems using video
- AGP graphics card with 16 MB or more video RAM required for movie playback
- Known Issue: Apple QuickTime 7 is currently not supported with the Digidesign WaveDriver on Windows XP
How can I tell if my PC is compatible?
Find out how much RAM and which processor, chipset, and Windows XP Service Pack you have:
Anti-Virus software such as PC-cillin and Norton Anti-Virus typically
cause problems with real-time software like Pro Tools LE. It's best to
disable & possibly remove anti-virus software from your system before
running Pro Tools LE. If you are using drives that meet the
Hard Drive Minimum Requirements and you are experiencing "disk
too slow" errors, this may be the cause.
Some Network Interface Controllers (NICs) cause problems for real-time
software like Pro Tools LE. If you are experiencing DAE errors while running
Pro Tools LE, try disabling all network devices via the Device Manager
in the Windows "System" control panel.
Be sure to disable the "hibernate" feature in the Windows "Power Options"
Video Display Settings
If you are experiencing DAE errors while clicking on GUI elements (such
as dragging windows, resizing windows, maximizing windows, etc.) try adjusting
the "Hardware Acceleration" setting in the Windows "Display" control panel.
This setting is located in the "Advanced" section of the "Settings" tab.
Some systems work best with "full acceleration," while others work best
with acceleration set to "none."
Another possible work-around for systems experiencing video-related compatibility
problems is to run in 256-color mode.
It is best to disable screen savers while running Pro Tools LE.
PCI-to-DRAM Pre-fetch BIOS Setting
Some PC compatibility problems with some 1394 controller cards may
be resolved by disabling the "PCI-to-DRAM Pre-fetch" setting in your computer's
Running some applications ("processes") at the same time as Pro Tools
LE may cause DAE errors. To avoid such performance problems, be sure to
close/terminate all unnecessary applications/processes prior to running
Pro Tools LE. Uninstall unnecessary applications from your computer, or
use "End Process" in the Windows Task Manager.
Other Known Incompatibilities
Digi 002 will not function if any other Digidesign PCI cards are
installed in the CPU (Digi 001, Audiomedia III, TDM cards)
Do not connect a DV video camera to the same FireWire bus as a Digi
002. Most CPUs with two FireWire ports still have only one FireWire
bus. If you need to add an additional FireWire bus to your CPU, see
the list of Digidesign-Qualified
FireWire PCI Cards
Pro Tools will crash when pressing play if Avid XPress DV 4.1.1 is
installed after PT. The workaround is to install Avid XPress DV before
installing Pro Tools. (Item #47816)
Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems)
chipsets cause system failures with Pro Tools systems
AMD K6, K6-2 or K6-III, K7 processor based computers (newer AMD Athlon XP, Athlon 64, and Athlon 64 FX processors are supported)
Older Dell Inspiron & Latitude notebooks that run under 1ghz
are not compatible with the 002. Please see recommended laptops section
Some notebook computers (such as the Gateway 600L) have loud fans
that run often while using Pro Tools LE
Some notebook computers (such as the Gateway 600L) generate noise
on the 002's unbalanced analog audio outputs when using the notebook's
Pentium 4 or Xeon systems with HyperThreading technology must have "Intel HyperThreading" in the system BIOS disabled in Pro Tools 6.x
Laptops users need to disable integrated wireless networking
Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate
The Digidesign WaveDriver does not support Avid Xpress DV or certain
other DirectSound applications that require advanced DirectSound capabilities
Compaq EVO W8000 models are currently not qualified with Digi 002
or Digi 002 Rack systems. Although qualified with Pro Tools TDM systems,
problems such as frequent 6085 and 9093 DAE Errors with these models
and 002 systems may occur.
Some HP Pavilion models do not meet the minimum requirements as listed
in these compatibility documents. Before purchasing these or any
computer, please carefully go over these documents and the exact specifications
of the computer to make certain that all of the compatibility guidelines
have been met.
Building Your Own Computer
Digidesign recognizes that some customers will want to build their own
computer for use with Pro Tools. To help increase the potential for success,
we are providing the above known system requirements.
However customers should be very aware of the following:
Digidesign can not provide full customer support as to the potential
loss of performance for such systems. If a loss in performance is encountered
Digidesign will assist customers by verifying the components of the system,
to look for incompatibilities. If it is determined that the problem is
inherent to a system component, a substitution to a different component
may be necessary. Digidesign can not guarantee that all performance issues
on these computers will be solved; however incorporating components from
this compatibility document can help customers avoid problems.
Systems adhering to this specification are in no way certified by Digidesign
to provide full Pro Tools functionality or track performance. While they
may be able to operate perfectly well and provide full track count performance,
they cannot be guaranteed to do so.
It is impossible for this list to comprehensively cover all possible
options. We are providing details of known requirements and known failures
based on our experience to date.
Need Additional Advice on a Computer Purchase?
Be sure to check out the Pro Tools LE Windows section of the Digidesign
User Conference for computer recommendations from other Digi 002 Rack Windows
Disclaimer: Digidesign can not verify that the information in this
forum will provide full functionality or performance. Please refer to
these Compatibility Documents for Digidesign's official system requirements.