Minimum Computer Specification Guidelines & Known
Pro Tools|HD & Pro Tools|HD Accel Systems with
Pro Tools HD 7 for Windows XP
Digidesign recognizes that some customers will want to build their own
computer for use with Pro Tools. To help increase the potential for success,
we are providing the following known system requirements.
However customers should be very aware of the following:
Digidesign can not provide full customer support as to the potential
loss of performance for such systems. If a loss in performance is encountered
Digidesign will assist customers by verifying the components of the system,
to look for incompatibilities. If it is determined that the problem is
inherent to a system component, a substitution to a different component
may be necessary. Digidesign can not guarantee that all performance issues
on these computers will be solved; however incorporating components from
this compatibility document can help customers avoid problems.
Systems adhering to this specification are in no way certified by Digidesign
to provide full Pro Tools functionality or track performance. While they
may be able to operate perfectly well and provide full track count performance,
they cannot be guaranteed to do so.
It is impossible for this list to comprehensively cover all possible
options. We are providing details of known requirements and known failures
based on our experience to date.
- Intel Pentium 4 or Xeon - 1.3GHz minimum, 2.4GHz or higher recommended
- AMD Opteron Dual and Dual Core
- AMD Athlon 64
- AMD Athlon 64 FX
With the following additional requirements:
- PCI slot w/3.3 V/2 A power supply for each HD card
- ATX form factor
- 2 adjacent PCI slots required for Pro Tools|HD 2 Accel or Pro Tools|HD
- 3 adjacent PCI slots required for Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel or Pro Tools|HD
- Motherboards with the Intel 865PE/875P chipset that utilize the IC5
south bridge chip (see motherboard documentation for verification), such as the Asus P4C800-E (P4 875P)
- Motherboards with the Intel 860 or Intel 850 chipset (or variants
of these) required for Pentium 4 processors
System RAM Requirements
- 512 MB RAM minimum required
- 1 GB (1024 MB) or more highly recommended
1 GB RAM or more recommended for sessions with:
- Large amounts of audio, large DSP engines, high edit density, or large DigiBase databases
- A large number of installed plug-ins
- Options like MachineControl and DigiTranslator
2 GB (2048 MB) minimum required with the following options:
- Avid Mojo
More RAM increases overall system and Pro Tools performance.
- Windows XP Professional or Home Edition (Professional required for Avid Mojo, AVoption|V10, Avid Unity)
- Pro Tools HD 7 is qualified with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP1 not tested)
- If you are updating from SP1 to SP2, please read the following beforehand to help insure a smooth transition:
- Pro Tools HD 7 software can't be installed or used on systems running Windows 98, Me, 2000, NT, 95, or 3.1
- Not Supported:
- Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
- Windows XP Media Center Edition
- Windows XP Settings & Requirements
Windows XP SP2, Microsoft DEP and PACE InterLok Drivers
- if you encounter unexplained blue screens, freezes or spontaneous reboots when launching Pro Tools with Windows XP Service Pack 2, please update your PACE InterLok drivers:
- The current PACE InterLok drivers solve the described problems without having to disable Microsoft's DEP (Data Execution Prevention) feature introduced with Windows XP Service Pack 2.
- The correct PACE InterLok drivers are included with the installation of Pro Tools 7
- AGP or PCIe (PCI Express) graphics card by ATI, Matrox, or NVIDIA
- Color monitor required
- Minimum resolution of 1024 x 768
- 17" or larger recommended if using external monitor
SCSI Host Adapter:
Known Issues - Computers & Components
When using a PC that contains 32-bit slots only, it is very important
to check and see if any components on the motherboard will impede
the seating of the 64-bit HD card. Please check the area immediately
behind the slot and compare it with the extra tab of the HD card that
will hang low behind the 32 bit slot.
HD cards require a case that is "mid-tower" or greater
in size. Please check the specifications of your computer case to
make sure it will fit a full length PCI card in all slots that you
intend to use for HD cards.
If you are considering a Dell or HP computer, please use only the
models we qualify. These computers are qualified to provide full Pro Tools functionality, including support for ICON, AVoption|V10, and Avid Mojo:
Click on above links for important information about each CPU, including known issues with early HP xw8000 models.
Beginning with Pro Tools 7, Pentium 4 systems with HyperThreading technology no longer need to have "Intel
HyperThreading" disabled in the system BIOS
Avoid Intel chipsets that contain integrated graphics (845G, 865G,
Intel 840 & Intel 845 chipsets have been known to cause performance
& system failures with some TDM systems. With TDM systems (MIX
& HD) Digidesign only supports chipsets in the 845 family that
use DDR RAM. Digidesign does not support chipsets in the 845 family
that use PC100 or PC133 SDRAM.
Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems)
chipsets cause system failures with Pro Tools systems
AMD K6, K6-2 or K6-III, K7 processor based computers are not supported
Asante network cards are not recommended for Pro Tools systems using
Ethernet controllers such as D-Control, D-Command, ProControl, or Control|24.
If an Asante network card is in your system, it can cause Ethernet
controllers to go on/offline every few seconds, and you will not be
able to maintain a decent connection to the D-Control, ProControl,
Many computer manufactures fabricate proprietary non-ATX style motherboards
that utilize daughter cards for their expansion slots. On these machines,
we have seen poor performance with Pro Tools Sessions exceeding 32
tracks and system boot errors.
The Digidesign WaveDriver does not support Avid Xpress DV or certain
other DirectSound applications that require advanced DirectSound capabilities
Pro Tools will crash when pressing play if Avid XPress DV 4.1.1 is
installed after PT. The workaround is to install Avid XPress DV before
installing Pro Tools. (Item #47816)
Dell Dimension 4550
Problem: Any attempt to install Pro Tools TDM results in the machine crashing and rebooting. This happens repeatedly on every reboot. Also, the TDM cards will show up in the device manager as being unable to acquire resources to be started.
Solution: All TDM cards are incompatible with Dell's A08 revision of the BIOS for the Dimension 4550. You must downgrade your BIOS to a previous revision (i.e. A07 or A06) if you want to install a TDM product. The BIOS versions can be downloaded from the Dell Support Downloads section of the Dell web site. For further assistance with downgrading the BIOS in the machine, you should contact Dell support.
Currently the following
cards are known to be incompatible with Digidesign cards also installed:
- 3DFx Voodoo Series: Voodoo Banshee, Voodoo3 Series and ATI Rage 128
Users of Phoenix BIOS may upgrade to the latest BIOS version, available
from Phoenix, to resolve compatibility issues with these cards.