Minimum Computer Specification Guidelines & Known
Pro Tools|24 MIX with Pro Tools 6.4.1 for Windows XP
Digidesign recognizes that some customers will want to build their own
computer for use with Pro Tools. To help increase the potential for success,
we are providing the following known system requirements.
However customers should be very aware of the following:
Digidesign can not provide full customer support as to the potential
loss of performance for such systems. If a loss in performance is encountered
Digidesign will assist customers by verifying the components of the system,
to look for incompatibilities. If it is determined that the problem is
inherent to a system component, a substitution to a different component
may be necessary. Digidesign can not guarantee that all performance issues
on these computers will be solved; however incorporating components from
this compatibility document can help customers avoid problems.
Systems adhering to this specification are in no way certified by Digidesign
to provide full Pro Tools functionality or track performance. While they
may be able to operate perfectly well and provide full track count performance,
they cannot be guaranteed to do so.
It is impossible for this list to comprehensively cover all possible
options. We are providing details of known requirements and known failures
based on our experience to date.
- Intel Pentium 4 or Xeon - 1.3 GHz or higher (recommended)
- PCI slot w/3.3 V/2 A power supply for each MIX card
- ATX form factor
- 2 adjacent PCI slots required for 2-card Pro Tools|24 MIX Plus systems
- 3 adjacent PCI slots required for 3-card Pro Tools|24 MIX3 systems
Computers with Opteron processors are known to be incompatible
with Pro Tools TDM systems.
The AMD Athlon 64 has not been fully qualified by Digidesign, however, there have been no reported problems.
- Motherboards with the Intel 865PE/875P chipset that utilize the IC5 south bridge chip (see motherboard documentation for verification)
- Motherboards with the Intel 860 or Intel 850 chipset (or variants
of these) required for Pentium 4 processors
- With TDM systems, Digidesign only supports chipsets
in the 845 family (845/845E/845PE) that use DDR RAM. Digidesign does
not support chipsets in the 845 family that use PC100 or PC133 SDRAM.
- BIOS must have multiple PCI bridge chip support enabled and PCI parity
Note: Dell Dimension 4500 and 8200 systems require Dell BIOS version
A05 when used with Pro Tools|HD
System RAM Requirements
- 512 MB minimum required
- 1 GB (1024 MB) or higher recommended
1 GB or higher recommended for sessions with:
- Large amounts of audio, large DSP engines, high edit density, or large DigiBase databases
- A large number of installed plug-ins
- Options like MachineControl and DigiTranslator 2.0
More RAM increases overall system and Pro Tools performance
- Windows XP Professional or Home Edition
- Windows XP Service Pack 1 required*
- Pro Tools 6.4.1 can NOT be installed or used on systems running Windows 98, Me, 2000, NT, 95, or 3.1
- Windows XP Settings & Requirements
*Digidesign has officially qualified Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Pro Tools|HD, HD Accel, Digi 002, Digi 002 Rack, and Mbox systems only. Although you may be able to use Service Pack 2 with MIX systems and Pro Tools 6.4.1, it has not been tested and is therefore not officially qualified with MIX systems. If you do choose to install SP2, please follow our recommended steps prior to upgrading to help insure a smooth upgrade: Recommended Steps for Installing Windows XP SP2
Windows XP SP2, Microsoft DEP and PACE InterLok Drivers Update
- if you encounter unexplained blue screens, freezes or spontaneous reboots when launching Pro Tools with Windows XP Service Pack 2, please update your PACE InterLok drivers:
- The current InterLok drivers solve the described problems without having to disable Microsoft's DEP (Data Execution Prevention) feature introduced with Windows XP Service Pack 2.
- AGP card by ATI, Matrox, or NVIDIA
Monitor: Color required; 14" minimum;
17" or larger recommended at minimum resolution of 1024x768
SCSI Host Adapter:
Known Issues - Computers & Components
MIX cards require a case that is "mid-tower" or greater
in size. Please check the specifications of your computer case to
make sure it will fit a full length PCI card in all slots that you
intend to use for MIX cards.
Pentium 4 systems with HyperThreading technology must have "Intel
HyperThreading" in the system BIOS disabled
Avoid Intel chipsets that contain integrated graphics (845G, 865G, etc.)
Intel 840 & Intel 845 chipsets have been known to cause performance
& system failures with some TDM systems. With TDM systems (MIX
& HD) Digidesign only supports chipsets in the 845 family that
use DDR RAM. Digidesign does not support chipsets in the 845 family
that use PC100 or PC133 SDRAM.
Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems)
chipsets cause system failures with Pro Tools systems
AMD K6, K6-2 or K6-III, K7 processor based computers are not supported
Asante network cards are not recommended for Pro Tools systems using
Ethernet controllers such as ProControl or Control|24. If an Asante
network card is in your system, it can cause Ethernet controllers
to go on/offline every few seconds, and you will not be able to maintain
a decent connection to the ProControl or Control|24.
The Digidesign WaveDriver does not support Avid Xpress DV or certain
other DirectSound applications that require advanced DirectSound capabilities
Many computer manufactures fabricate proprietary non-ATX style motherboards
that utilize daughter cards for their expansion slots. On these machines,
we have seen poor performance with Pro Tools Sessions exceeding 32
tracks and system boot errors.
The Digidesign WaveDriver does not support Avid Xpress DV or certain other DirectSound applications that require advanced DirectSound capabilities
Pro Tools will crash when pressing play if Avid XPress DV 4.1.1 is installed after PT. The workaround is to install Avid XPress DV before installing Pro Tools. (Item #47816)
Dell Dimension 4550
Problem: Any attempt to install Pro Tools TDM results in the machine crashing and rebooting. This happens repeatedly on every reboot. Also, the TDM cards will show up in the device manager as being unable to acquire resources to be started.
Solution: All TDM cards are incompatible with Dell's A08 revision of the BIOS for the Dimension 4550. You must downgrade your BIOS to a previous revision (i.e. A07 or A06) if you want to install a TDM product. The BIOS versions can be downloaded from the Dell Support Downloads section of the Dell web site. For further assistance with downgrading the BIOS in the machine, you should contact Dell support.
Currently the following cards are known to be incompatible with Digidesign
cards also installed:
- 3DFx Voodoo Series: Voodoo Banshee, Voodoo3 Series and ATI Rage 128
Users of Phoenix BIOS may upgrade to the latest BIOS version, available
from Phoenix, to resolve compatibility issues with these cards.