Mac OS Requirements Pro Tools v5.1.1
Approved Mac Operating Systems
- Pro Tools 5.1.1 has been tested and approved on Mac OS 9.0.4, 9.1,
and 9.2.2. (see Known Issues at the bottom of this page)
- For specific compatibility information, click on the links for a
particular computer model and Pro Tools system.
- Newer G4 models (AGP graphics
slot + 4 PCI slots = 5 slots total) require Mac OS 9.1 on the early
addition 5 slot models or Mac OS 9.2/9.2.1/9.2.2 on the Quicksilver
5 slot models.
- To update from OS 9 to 9.1 or 9.2.1, go to www.info.apple.com/export
- To update from OS 9.2 to 9.2.2, go to www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html
or by using the Software Update Control Panel
Settings & Requirements
- Mac OS Base Extension set and Digi System extensions (See Pro
Tools Mac FAQ #1 for more information)
- Set default cache (in the Memory Control Panel) to "Custom,
- Set Energy Saver Control Panel to "Never"
- In the Appearance Control Panel, disable "Smooth All Fonts On
Screen" and change system font to other than "Charcoal"
- If Norton Utilities is used it must be Norton Utilities v4.0 or higher
to ensure compatibility with HFS+
Special Notes for OS 9 users:
- Pro Tools 5.0 or higher and DAE/DSI 5.0 or higher are required with
Mac OS 9.0 or higher.
- The Digidesign Control Panel requires OS 9.0 or higher
When using Digidesign Control Panel, turn off Platinum Sounds in the
Appearance Control Panel
- Firmware v1.1 required for Blue & White G3 computers running
OS 9.0 or higher. Available from Apple at: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n58374
- The "Quicksilver" G4 models require OS 9.2, 9.2.1, or 9.2.2 to run
Pro Tools. Users should not attempt to install OS 9.1, or run OSX, (including
Classic mode), with Pro Tools on these machines. The Quicksilver G4
models have been tested with the Mac OS as shippped from Apple on these
machines, with a dual boot system which includes both OS 9.2.x and OS
X. It is absolutely necessary to boot from
OS 9.2.x in order to run Pro Tools. Although
you cannot use Pro Tools with OS X or in "Classic" mode under
OS X, it is not necessary to remove OS X from these "Quicksilver"
- Additional Mac OS Notes: You should not
install OS X on the same partition or hard drive with Mac OS 9.x that
you use as your startup drive for Pro Tools on pre-Quicksilver G4 models.
- Pro Tools currently does not utilize the second processor in dual
processor Power Mac G4 models. If problems (such as -6042 errors) occur
when using Pro Tools on a Dual Processor CPU, Digidesign recommends
the following: Download and install ApplePCI
- Apple Multiprocessor and G4 PowerBook Expansion Chassis Fix
- On some G4 models running OS 9.2, 9.2.1 or 9.2.2, graphics in the
Fades window may appear in the wrong color, or the fade lines may be
invisible. Clicking outside the Fade window causes the window to redraw
with the correct colors.
- When running DigiTest v5.1.1 on the 867 MHz and 800 MHz dual-processor
models, DigiTest reports a configuration problem if the ATTO Express
PCI DC is installed. An erroneous error occurs when it scans the ATTO
Express PCI DC (SCSI HBA card), however the card passes if you continue
the test. This problem does not occur when running DigiTest on the 733
See Apple's tech archive on how to differentiate between AGP Graphics
and PCI Graphics G4 models at: www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n58418
Power Macintosh version history and specifications are available at www.everymac.com
Please Note: Pro Tools
5.x is not compatible with the Mac OS X operating system or "Classic"
mode in OS X. In order to use Pro Tools 5.x software with the Mac OS,
it is necessary to boot in OS 9 on Apple computers. Choose OS 9 in your
Startup Disk control panel or hold down the Option key while booting,
then choose OS 9.
In order to use Pro Tools on Mac OS X, you will need to
have Pro Tools 6 for Mac OS X: