The system requirements on this page are meant for general guideline
purposes only. Digidesign cannot guarantee compatibility with any
particular computer system, or various components installed on it.
Due to the giveaway nature of Pro Tools Free, this product is not
eligible for technical support by telephone, fax or email. If you
do have problems or technical questions, check the Pro
Tools FREE Technical & Customer Support Information page for
resources available to you.
Because Pro Tools FREE is limited to one third of the audio tracks
supported by Pro Tools LE 5.0.1, users may find that it is compatible
with some older/slower computers which are not included on these
Digidesign Hardware Not
Digidesign Software Version
Pro Tools 5.0.1 FREE Revision 2
Compatible CPU Models
- Intel Pentium III - Processors of all speeds are compatible,
desktop or laptop,
Have been reported as compatible by some users:
- Intel Pentium II - desktop or laptop,
single processor, 300 MHz or faster
- Intel Celeron, 300 MHz or faster
- AMD Athlon Thunderbird processor
- AMD Athlon XP processor
Caution - Pro Tools FREE has been problematic with the following
systems or systems with the following components:
- Some Sony VAIO computers
- Some Hewlett Packard Pavillion computers
- Cyrix processor based computers
- AMD K6, K6-2 or K6-III, K7 processor based computers
- Original Pentium processor based computers (Pentium I)
- VIA chipset based motherboard computers
- "ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive" Sound, video and game controller.
This device can be disabled from the "Device Manager" in the "System"
Additional Computer Requirements
- System Software: Windows
Me or Windows 98 Second Edition (will NOT run on Windows XP,
2000, NT, 95, or 3.1)
- Total System RAM: 128 MB minimum 192 MB recommended (Additional
RAM required for simultaneous use with MIDI sequencers.)
- Intel chipset
- Phoenix or Award BIOS (recommended)
- CD-ROM drive for software install
- AGP or PCI graphic card
- Monitor, color required, minimum resolution of 1024 x 768
- Storage: A large, fast, hard drive for audio.
- For maximum performance, a dedicated ATA/IDE or SCSI disk drive(s),
such as those qualified
with Pro Tools LE, should be used.
Third-Party MIDI Controllers
- Plug-In Finder
Optional Digidesign Hardware
SampleCell II Plus - SampleCell software must be installed before
Pro Tools FREE is installed.
Optional Third-Party SCSI HBA Card
Maximum Performance Guidelines
Pentium III at 500 MHz or higher processor speed, Single Processor.
Performance and the number of Plug-Ins will vary from PC to PC;
however faster is better
Total System RAM: 192 MB or higher
File System (all drives): FAT32
Also note that we have seen better performance on computers that
have less components attached and non-custom versions of the BIOS
Need Advice on a Computer Purchase?
Be sure to check out the Pro Tools LE Windows section of
User Conference for computer recommendations from other Pro
Tools LE users.
Disclaimer: Digidesign can not verify that the information in
this forum will provide full functionality or performance. Please
refer to these Compatibility Documents for Digidesign's official