Digidesign Hardware Supplied with System
Digidesign Software Compatibility
- Pro Tools LE 6.9 for Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
- Pro Tools LE software will not work without Digidesign hardware connected
- Pro Tools LE supports the use of any single supported Pro Tools LE audio interface. Simultaneous use of multiple Pro Tools LE hardware devices is not supported.
Included and Optional Plug-Ins:
Optional Digidesign Hardware
- MIDI I/O
- PRE (For use as standalone microphone preamplifier. For remote control within Pro Tools, TDM hardware and software is required)
Control Surfaces & MIDI Interfaces
Optional Digidesign & Avid Storage
- DigiDrive SCSI Drives
- DigiDrive FireWire 80
- Avid MediaDrive rS80
- Avid MediaDrive rS36/320 LVD
- Avid MediaDrive rS73/320 LVD
- Avid MediaDock iS36/320 LVD Shuttle
- Avid MediaDock iS73/320 LVD Shuttle
- Avid MediaDock Dual
- Avid MediaDock Dual+
- SCSI-128 Kit (ATTO Express PCI-UL3D)
Not compatible with Power Mac G5 or tested with Pro Tools 6.9:
- SCSI-64 Kit/ATTO Express PCI-DC
Optional Video Software
- Sony DV devices
- Canopus ADVC-100 DV Transcoder
- Canopus ADVC-110 DV Transcoder
Maximum Performance Guidelines
- Recording to the system startup drive is not recommended or supported
- For Power Mac G5 or G4 desktop models, a separate internal or external dedicated audio hard drive is highly recommended for maximum performance and track count.
- Although limited recording and playback of audio tracks may be possible using the internal drive in iBook, PowerBook, iMac and Mac mini models, a separate external dedicated audio hard drive is highly recommended for maximum performance and track count. Digidesign recommends the use of FireWire drives for use with these computers.
- Dual processor users will experience increased performance over single processor CPUs
- Mbox will not function if any Digidesign PCI cards are installed
in the CPU. (Digi 001, Audiomedia III, TDM cards, SampleCell)
- Pro Tools LE core hardware systems cannot be combined
- Pro Tools 6 does not work in the OS 9 "Classic Mode".
You must choose Mac OS X as your Startup Disk.
Energy Saver Settings
Pro Tools Does Not Support Sleep Mode
In the Macintosh System Preferences, launch Energy Saver, click the Sleep tab, and disable all Sleep features. Set "Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive" to Never. Do not manually put your computer to sleep when running Pro Tools.
Processor Performance & Power Mac G5
For optimal Pro Tools performance, you must set Processor Performance (located in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options) to "Highest". Updating your Mac OS may reset this to the default setting: "Automatic". After updating your Mac OS, check to make sure this is set to "Highest".
Apple's Mac OS help documentation provides the following info on Energy Saver Processor settings:
- The PowerPC G5 processor in your Power Mac G5 can run at various speeds. The default setting for this feature is "Automatic", which allows the system to run the processor at full speed when required, and at a lower speed during periods of light processing activity. Certain real-time applications, such as audio creation or gaming, may perform optimally when using the highest processor performance setting. You can change the processor performance setting in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences.
Supported CPU Models, Speeds & Requirements
- eMac G4 (although not tested, there are no known differences in performance compared to iMac G4 with similar processor speeds)
Pro Tools LE 6.9 will not work with the Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger" operating system. A free compatibility update for Mac OS X 10.4 is now available for Pro Tools LE users with Pro Tools LE 6.7 or higher software:
Total System RAM
- 384 MB minimum, 512 or higher recommended
- More RAM increases overall system and Pro Tools performance
- 512 MB RAM or higher suggested for sessions with high edit density,
extensive use of plug-ins, or simultaneous use with MIDI sequencers
- DigiTranslator 2.0 will also require additional RAM
- OS X does not require minimum or preferred RAM settings for
Pro Tools as RAM is dynamically allocated
- Color monitor required
- Minimum resolution of 1024 x 768
- 17" or larger recommended if using external monitor
- Apple QuickTime 6.5.2
- Included with Mac OS
Storage (Audio Drive) Requirements
Digidesign CoreAudio Driver
Pro Tools LE 6.9 Information
After updating either Pro Tools or your Mac OS, always run Disk Utility and "Repair Permissions" on the startup drive.
Mbox Product Information & Specifications
For more information, see Getting Started with Mbox and other Pro Tools 6 documents in the Support > Tech Support > Technical Document Library and included with new Mbox systems and Pro Tools LE 6 upgrade CDs.