Mbox 2 Beta Firmware & Driver Update Kit v1.38
For PowerBook G4 Computer Users Only
- With Pro Tools LE 7 or Pro Tools LE 6.8.1
For additional updated information on this issue, please see the following page:
From the Mbox 2 Firmware v1.38.pdf Read Me document, included with both downloads:
We have identified a problem with some aluminum Apple PowerBook G4 models. These laptops may not provide sufficient power from one or both of their built-in USB ports.
Digidesign is providing a beta firmware and driver update to help counteract these issues. Only users experiencing a lack or loss of communication with Mbox 2 and a PowerBook G4 should use this update. If you do not have a PowerBook G4, there is no need to update your Mbox 2 firmware with this version.
To update your Mbox 2 firmware and driver from a Macintosh:
- Quit all applications and connect your Mbox 2 to your computer.
- Download the file to the left named Mbox 2 Firmware Updater 1.38 for Mac OS X.
- Run the installer. This will install the updated drivers onto your computer, as well as place the Firmware Updater applica-tion on your desktop.
- Restart your computer. Note that the Mbox 2 LEDs will not light up. This is normal and expected.
- Go to Applications/System Preferences and launch the Mbox 2 Control Panel to verify that your Mbox 2 is connected. This may take up to 30 seconds.
- Launch the Firmware Updater that was placed on your desktop to update the Mbox 2 firmware.
- If you have multiple Mac intosh machines, you will need to update the drivers on all your Macintosh machines: Repeat steps 1–5 for each additional Macintosh. You can skip step 6 because you only need to update the firmware once.
Macintosh users that update to this firmware will not have their Mbox 2 recognized on a Windows-based PC unless they also update the Mbox 2 drivers on that Windows machine.
To do this, proceed to the following steps. Note that you only need to do the following if you have updated your Mbox 2 firmware as above, and want to use your Mbox 2 on both a Macintosh and a Windows computer.
To update your Mbox 2 drivers on a Windows PC:
- Download the file to the left named Mbox 2 Firmware Updater 1.38 for Windows XP.
- Run the installer (Mbox 2 Firmware Updater Setup.exe). This will install the updated drivers onto your computer, as well as place the Firmware Updater applica-tion on your desktop. Note you will not need the Mbox 2 Firmware updater if you have updated your Mbox 2 firmware previously on your Macintosh (using the steps above).
- During installation, Windows will warn you of "unsigned device drivers". Please click-through these warnings to assure that the firmware update can complete uninterrupted.
- Restart your computer.
In all situations, please follow the Firmware Updater instructions closely to avoid damage to your Mbox 2.
For more information on this issue, please see Mbox 2 Compatibility Information with PowerBook G4
This same beta version of the Mbox 2 Firmware Update v1.38 is included on the Pro Tools LE 7.0 CD in the Additional Files\Unsupported Software folder.