Power Mac G4 Digi 002 Rack Requirements
With Pro Tools LE 6.9.2 for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Note: The best performance with Mac OS X and Digi 002 Rack is achieved
by using fast dual processor Macs. Slower single processor Macs will
work with Digi 002 Rack, but at a reduced track and/or plug-in count.
Supported Power Mac G4 Computers:
Dual G4 Processor Models
|Dual 867 MHz Power Mac G4 MDD
|Dual 1 GHz Power Mac G4 QS
|Dual 1 GHz Power Mac G4 MDD
|Dual 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 MDD
|Dual 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 FW800
|Dual 1.42 GHz Power Mac G4 FW800
Single G4 Processor Models
|933 MHz Power Mac G4 QS
|1 GHz Power Mac G4 FW800
|1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 MDD
QS = "Quicksilver" models from 2001-2002
MDD = "Mirrored Drive Doors" models from 2002
FW800 = FireWire 800 models from 2003
Not Tested or Recommended:
- Single 867 MHz Power Mac G4 and lower
- Dual 800 MHz Power Mac G4 and lower
Pro Tools 6.9.2 or higher is required for the Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger" operating system. Earlier versions of Pro Tools will not work on Mac OS 10.4.
iLok Authorized Plug-Ins
Although not required with Pro Tools installation, an iLok USB Hardware Key may be required for installation of some plug-ins and optional software applications.
Control Surfaces & MIDI Interfaces
Dual Monitor AGP Graphics Cards
All single or dual monitor cards which ship as standard equipment with qualified Apple Power Mac G4 models at the top of this page are supported with Pro Tools 6.
Hard Drives Audio Storage Requirements
Although limited recording and playback of audio tracks may be possible using the internal startup drive, a separate dedicated audio hard drive is highly recommended for maximum performance and track count.
Audio Storage Requirements for Record and Playback:
Firewire Hard Drives
SCSI HBA Card for SCSI Drives (optional)
Maximum Performance Guidelines
- Recording to the system startup drive is not recommended or supported
- For desktop models, a separate internal (IDE) or external dedicated FireWire drive is highly recommended for maximum performance and track count
- When using FireWire storage with Digi 002 systems, connect the Digi 002 Rack and the drives to separate FireWire ports if possible
- If only one port is available, connect the drives to the CPU using a 1 meter firewire cable, then connect the Digi 002 Rack to the drives
Pro Tools Does Not Support Sleep Mode
In the Macintosh System Preferences, launch Energy Saver, click the Sleep tab, and disable all Sleep features. Set "Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive" to Never. Do not manually put your computer to sleep when running Pro Tools.
FireWire Drives and Power Mac G4 "FW800"
The following problem exists with the Digi 002 & Digi 002 Rack and
the 2003 Power Mac G4 "FW800" models with FireWire 800 ports:
- Recording with the Digi 002 or 002 Rack to a FireWire drive connected
to any of the 3 built-in Firewire ports on these computers can result
in -6085 errors.
- On these computers, Digidesign recommends using a dedicated internal
ATA/IDE drive for recording.
- The use of a Third Party FireWire PCI card is necessary with FW800
machines with Digi 002 or 002 Rack if the user wishes to either record
to or boot from an external FireWire drive. If using FireWire drives
with Digi 002 or 002 Rack & the 2003 Power Mac G4 FW800 models,
a FireWire PCI adapter card
must be used.
- This problem only occurs on the 2003 Power Mac G4 FW800 desktop models.
All other supported computers can use FireWire drives connected to the
built-in FireWire ports.
Known Incompatibilities & Issues
- The Movie Offset feature affects both the QT Movie output to DV and
the Onscreen movie
- If users want to use Japanese fonts in their sessions, they will not
be able to use HFS (standard) drives only HFS+ formatted drives
- Sometimes when opening a session that was based on a PT 3.2 format
session, the following error may occur when Restoring IO paths: Time
type mismatch occurred in "Time_Typed.cpp" line 370. A reboot
may be necessary if this occurs
- System instabilities and performance issues can occur when using MIDI
control surfaces in conjunction with Pro Tools 6 and 3rd party MIDI
interfaces. For best multiport MIDI performance, we recommend using
Digidesign's MIDI I/O.
- The Digi 002 Rack will not function if any Digidesign PCI cards are
installed in the CPU. (Digi 001, Audiomedia III, TDM cards, SampleCell)
- Pro Tools LE core systems cannot be combined, and multiple units are
not supported. For instance:
- A Digi 002 and Digi 002 Rack cannot be used together on the same
- 2 Digi 002 Rack units cannot be used on the same computer
- Digi 002 faders cannot be used with any other system, including
- Pro Tools 6 does not work in the OS 9 "Classic Mode". You
must choose Mac OS X as your Startup Disk.